Wednesday, March 4, 2009

No homo

So Kanye West. He's a special guy. Producer extraordinaire and all around dickhead. Not because he doesn't make good music. I'll admit it...I own all four of his albums. But he is an ass, in the true sense of the word. And I know by even posting this blog I am playing into exactly what he preaches against. He always talks about saying things are "gay" in a negative context. I do it all the time. It's convenient. Gay is monosyllabic, three letters, and I'd venture to say even funny. I don't have a problem with gay people; I may not agree with their lifestyle, but as long as they don't try to impose it on anyone, do what you want. I don't agree with what Muslims have to say either, but as long as they're staying out of my church and not taking bacon off my plate we're good. But back Kanye. Below is a direct quote from Mr. West taken from the March issue of Details.

". . . if it's, like, good, good, good fashion-level, design-level stuff, where it's on a higher level than the average commercial design stuff, it's, like, gay people that do that. I think that should be said as a compliment. Like, 'Dude, that's so good it's almost . . . gay.'"

Sounds a little gay to me.

I hear what you're saying - don't use "gay" in a negative connotation. Fair enough. But you want me to use it in a positive context? Anything good in my life I don't want to be gay. "This steak is gay." Nope. Doesn't sound right, read right or type right. Sincerest apologies to all steaks out there. I don't even feel right saying it.

My point is simple. I understand using "gay" may be offensive, and I can easily find another word. But Kanye is pushing it. Stick to the beats dude.

2 comments:

singleton. said...

kanye is gay.
not good gay, or bad gay.

but happy as a punk in boys town gay. literally.

M. Johnson Brown said...

i think the closet was made for dudes like kanye. and he's trying to make it cool in advance of somebody putting him out. he's on his own with that one