Friday, June 19, 2009

From the Sidelines

I know what it's like to be a quarterback watching your defense struggle. I understand how it must feel to sit on the sidelines, and watch your team throw a game away. You've done your part; you've been accurate, called audibles when you see blitz, and executed a masterful drive to eventually hit paydirt. That's kinda what it's like being me (minus, of course, the millions of dollars in salary and endorsements). One of the hardest parts about being a musician is having to listen to what some deem popular these days. I mean, part of being good at anything is knowing what you're up against. Watching tape. Understanding the trends. Knowing how to interpret different factors that play into your area of interest and expertise. It can, at times, even be discouraging...but not withstanding, you're prepared. I'm not naive enough to think that there isn't any good music out there. I know better. It's just sad to think how deep you'd have to dig to find it.

And it's not like it's not out there. There's good music to be heard. So I ask myself what A&Rs and record companies look for when they're recruiting artists and trying to find the next "big thing." It seems like the talent pool (or at least the representation thereof) gets increasingly worse as time progresses. Especially those who appeal primarily to the young urban demographic (read: Black kids). I'd really hate to pick on Jamie Foxx; I've always considered him to be a highly underrated overall entertainer. He's a talented pianist and vocalist and has accomplished himself as a more than credible actor. However only recently has his music taken on more of a mainstream sound, teaming up with the likes of The Dream and T-Pain (oh good Lord). I just think he has a lot to offer, and his talent can be much better used. For someone who has a voice like his (it's a rarity these days), it's a shame to hear him do an entire song in Autotune. It's like Chris Rock said, "and you know they can do it...you mean to tell me they can't make an El Dorado where the bumper don't fall off?" But that's just one example. Jamie's still cool with me. I guess my sister put it best while we were watching the BET Awards (don't ask why), "He knows better."

I guess all I'm saying is, music is one of those things that people will never get tired of. It's not like VCRs or slap bracelets. It'll never go away. Sure it goes through changes and adapts, but I'm afraid it may be changing for the worse. As artists like Soulja Boy become increasingly popular, what we know as music is becoming increasingly more disgusting. The other team is marching down the field. Crank Dat comes out...they just crossed midfield. Ooooh shit, there's a dance to it...these bastards are in field goal range. Did you check the sunglasses? Red Zone. Maybe I'm old fashioned...maybe I'm just not being progressive enough...or maybe I'm just confused about what music should be. I'm just hoping musicians like myself don't lose. We've had the lead the whole game.

No comments: